The point of reference for the culture of the Muggio Valley is undoubtedly the MEVM (Muggio Valley Ethnographic Museum). The MEVM is located at Casa Cantoni in Cabbio and has its information centre here, while the museum proper is to be found on the various itineraries in the valley that link the significant elements of the cultural landscape. The landscape of the Muggio Valley has been consecrated as ‘Landscape of the Year 2014’ in Switzerland and is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful alpine valleys in Switzerland. The visible landscape is the result of two combined factors: the action of natural elements such as the rocky substratum, climate and vegetation on the one hand, and human intervention on the other, which modifies the territory in order to create a stable settlement. Throughout the district, the two factors are strongly correlated and the resulting extraordinary landscape is very varied and surprisingly rich. Here you will find villages, historic buildings and sites, and panoramic viewpoints surrounded by nature. The landscape of the Muggio Valley preserves a rich heritage of rural civilisation. The Muggio Valley represents an area with peculiarities of importance not only in terms of history, art and ethnography, but also environment and nature. The landscape still reveals traces of a continuous, careful and sparing use of existing resources. Numerous ethnographic testimonies are still present in the territory: nevère, roccoli, graa, bolle, fountains, cisterns, bridges, charcoal pits, sostre, mills, bridges and chestnut woods. Aware of this wealth, the Ethnographic Museum has since its inception focused its work on the valorisation and conservation of this uncommon heritage.
From Scudellate it is easy to reach other cultural sites scattered throughout the Mendrisiotto region.
- Museo d’arte di Mendrisio, located in the magnificent village of Mendrisio, has been offering exhibitions dedicated to the great masters of the 20th century for over twenty years.
- Galleria Baumgartner, near Mendrisio railway station you can admire more than 8,000 model railways that have been entertaining visitors of all ages and from all over the world for decades.
- Pinacoteca Züst, in Rancate you can visit this important and historic art gallery in the Mendrisiotto region.
- Museo dei fossili del monte San Giorgio, in a small hamlet on nearby Monte San Giorgio is this museum, renovated and extended by architect Mario Botta. Here you can admire unique fossils from Monte San Giorgio.
- Museo Vincenzo Vela, in Ligornetto you can admire sculptures of worldwide renown.
- M.a.x. Museo, in the town of Chiasso you will find a building whose mission is to disseminate knowledge of graphics, design, photography and contemporary visual communication.
The staff will also be happy to point you in the right direction for activities within and outside Ticino.”